Karen JohnstonExecutive Director
Karen Johnston joined Tasks Unlimited as its executive director in 2009, bringing over 25 years of experience in mental health leadership to the position. Prior to coming to Tasks Unlimited, Karen was deputy director and later CEO for PORT in Brainerd, MN, providing residential services and other resources for at-risk teens. She has also served as program director and director of residential services for Hecla Inc., and as director of administration for the Initiative Foundation.
Gil BessardDirector of Operations, LSW
Gil Bessard joined Tasks Unlimited in 1978. As director of operations, Gil works to ensure the smooth operation of Tasks Unlimited Building Services, and directs the upkeep and maintenance of all Tasks Unlimited properties and vehicles. In his tenure with Tasks Unlimited, Gil has worked in a variety of positions, including program director, area supervisor, and lodge & jobs coordinator. Gil has a degree in social work from Grambling State University and has completed the University of Saint Thomas’ Mini-MBA for Nonprofit Organizations.
Ashley TreppDirector of Mental Health Services, MSW, LICSW
Ashley Trepp joined Tasks Unlimited in 2000. She has served on Tasks Unlimited mental health services team in a number of roles since she began, most recently becoming Director of Mental Health Services in 2011. In this role, Ashley oversees Tasks Unlimited’s Targeted Case Management, Adult Rehabilitative Mental Health Services, Intensive Residential Treatment Services, Job Training Program and Fairweather Lodge and Jobs programs. Ashley has a master’s degree in social work from the University Of Minnesota and has had her LICSW for over 10 years. She is an active member of the Coalition for Community Living board of directors and currently serves as the Vice President of the Mental Health Providers Association of Minnesota board of directors.
Heather SimonChief Financial Officer
Heather Simon joined the Tasks Unlimited finance team in 2005, and took the position of chief financial officer in 2008 In this role, Heather is responsible for oversight of all the organization's financials. Previously to working at Tasks Unlimited, she worked at nonprofits that specialized in elder care and immigrant family issues. She has a bachelor’s degree in business administration, specializing in accounting and computers, from California State University - Stanislaus and a master’s degree from Bethel University.
Dana ScarlettProgram Director of Property Management
Dana Scarlett joined Tasks Unlimited in 1987. In his 30 years with Tasks Unlimited and the Fairweather Lodge model, Dana has served Tasks Unlimited in a variety of functions including assistant director of operations, lodge coordinator, job developer, and vocational supervisor. As Program Director of Property Management, Dana is responsible for purchasing and maintaining all of Tasks Unlimited properties, ensuring safe and well-maintained housing for all our tenants. He is a licensed Residential Remodeling Contractor in the state of Minnesota, and before working for Tasks, Dana was a licensed realtor and a restaurant owner/operator.
Dana HaysDevelopment Director
Dana Hays joined Tasks Unlimited as its development director in 2018, bringing nearly 20 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising and grant management to the position. Before coming to Tasks Unlimited, Dana was the development director at Face to Face Health & Counseling Service, Inc., a nonprofit providing health services, and resources to underserved youth. Previous to becoming development director at Face to Face, Dana served in other positions there including managing public funding and overseeing data and evaluation.
Jacqueline McMillanHuman Resources Manager, MSHR, PHR, SHRM-CP
Jacqueline McMillan joined Tasks Unlimited in 2017 bringing more than 20 years human resources and benefits experience to the position. Before coming to Tasks Unlimited, Jacqueline was the Director of Human Resources at Fraser, Ltd., and Babcock & Brown New York. Jacqueline holds a master’s degree from Penn State in Human Resources–Employment Relations, is SHRM-CP and PHR certified, and is active in local, state, and national HR association boards of directors.
Board of Directors
- Rodger Skare, Chair, Director, Valbridge | Mardell Partners, Inc.
- Elaine Love, Immediate Past Chair, Governmental Affairs Manager (ret.), Farmers Insurance Group
- Lawton Cain, Treasurer, Partner, Cain & Polson LLC
- Joseph Brochin, Mental Health Professional (ret.)
- Paula Callies, Owner, Callies Law PLLC
- Charles Christiansen, Executive Director (ret.), American Occupational Therapy Foundation
- Marianne Christiansen, Professor Emerita. St Catherine University
- Steve Erickson, Client Employee, Tasks Unlimited Building Services
- Bryan Frandrup, Vice President & Commercial Loan Officer, Venture Bank
- David Gibbons, Finance, Tasks Unlimited, Inc. (ret.), Resident, Tasks Unlimited Lodges
- Kristine Haertl, Ph.D., OTR, FAOTA, Professor, Saint Catherine University
- Kim Herring, Senior Medical Device Sales Representative, Braun Interventional Systems, Inc.
- Greg Hestness, Chief of Police (ret.), University of Minnesota
- Luke Johnson, Human Resource Professional (ret.)
- Linda Kubalsky, Peer Specialist, Tasks Unlimited Lodge Training Program
- Michael Maus, Ph.D., Emeritus
- Larry Shomion, Chief Financial Officer (ret.), Saint Paul Public Schools